Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF grid square maps

To: "Chet, N8RA" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF grid square maps
From: James French <w8iss@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:49:54 -0400
On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 11:41 -0400, Chet, N8RA wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Thanks for sharing that info on grids worked.
> I find these pictures interesting and inspiring.
> What grid were you in?

The grid is EN82dh.

> FYI- I use the N1MM logging program, and it has a graphical window that can
> be viewed anytime that shows the grids worked on whatever band is selected
> at the time. I find that valuable during the contest to know which ones are
> missing so I can point the beam and CQ more often in those directions.
> And by right-clicking on any square it can then list which stations you have
> worked in that grid too.

The W8PGW VHF group doesn't use N1mm because we are using Linux and
OpenBSD for the operating systems on our laptops.

I have 'tried' to run N1MM under wine and Crossover just before Field
Day because the Lowfer's (HFers) in the club prefer it. It didn't work!
As for VHF, N1MM takes up too much resources and just doesn't do what we
(VHF) need. We prefer the much simpiliar xLog that is supported under
OpenBSD and Linux.

> Attached is a snip out of a screen shot of this window from my 2M contacts
> last weekend
> It shows my grid in green.

Thanks for the suggestion about coloring the home grid a different
color. I hadn't thought of it.

>  I also refer to a paper print out similar to your
> map on which I outlined the states in heavy ink to give me some idea of what
> part of the country the grids are in.

We have two maps we hang during VHF contests. One is a laminated ICOM
colored map about 14x11 in size and a recently found misplaced BIG
laminated grid map acquired a few years ago. Currently looking for a
way to get a Mercator projection map based on grid square that we can
use for bearing and pointing of antennas correctly. I have found this
site: http://www.wm7d.net/azproj.shtml that gives what I am looking for
but I don't currently have a way to print it out BIG enough to be of a
practical use. I could do it at work, but currently off because of work
injury...:(

James W8ISS