Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL June VHF QSO Party - K7XC - S/O Low Power - NV

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] ARRL June VHF QSO Party - K7XC - S/O Low Power - NV
From: Matt Clauson N0QXW <n0qxw@n0qxw.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:45:09 -0600
On 6/17/09 3:50 AM, T. M. wrote:
>     While not the best contest I have done from home, it was a
>     fun weekend! Lots of rare grids on this time due to the FFMA,
>     what a tribute to Fred's legacy!

I'll freely admit, I joined the contest (and the VHF contesting
community in general) as a result of the FFMA.  I think it's a great
idea for an award.

Living in Montana, I'm close (within a 2-3 hour drive) of 9 of the 'top
25 wanted' grids in the most wanted grid survey (specifically, DN
63/73/65/75/66/67/77/58/68).  Two of those grids (65/66) are within a
half-hour's drive of me, and two more (66/67) are in an area I regularly
make 'field trips' to.

At any rate, since I live somewhat close to the 'rare DX' (not only Grid
Squares, but Counties as well, for you county hunters) I kind of look on
it as a neighborly duty to my fellow amateurs to activate these and QSL
them.  I figure that I can sacrifice a little time on that for the good
of the community.  Besides, I've been bitten by the '6 meter' bug.
Reminds me a lot of the way I felt tuning up on 10 Meters when I finally
got my code as a technician and could actually 'work HF'.

What's in the works for my next contest?  I'd love to work with one of
the 'big gun' teams at some point -- that'd be fun.  I definitely want
to improve my rover -- a 2m whip on 6m is nice, but that 20db of loss
due to cross-polarization has got to go.  Of course, figuring out how
I'm going to mount a 6m loop on a compact car with no roof rack has its
own...  challenges.  (I'll be posting a picture of N0QXW/R on the weblog
soon -- don't laugh, please!  *chuckle*)  And I'd love to start working
other bands a bit more if I get the chance.

My thanks to the entire VHF contesting community for helping make my
first VHF contest "one to remember".

--mec