[VHFcontesting] Please participate in Field Day

To: vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Please participate in Field Day
From: "STeve Andre'" <andres@msu.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:44:56 -0400
   I'm still zonked from our portable operation at Signal Hill in
EN82.  It was a blast and we made 256 contacts (a great number
for computer folk), and we succeeded in getting a few more of
our club members out to see what the fun is.

   As others likely do, we view the June VHF contest as a test for
our VHF stuff.  So after a weekend off its back to the hill for FD!
W8PGW will be there, but operating with the University of Michigan
club, using their most wonderful call, W8UM.

   Looking back at my notes on FD for the last four years, 6 and
2 predominated the scene, so much so that I don't think we made
any contacts on 1296 at all, and just one or two on 222.

   I'd like to suggest that Field Day is the *BEST* opportunity to
expose the Random Ham to VHF stuff.  Lots of people have 6 & 2
these days, but it doesn't seem that they use it much.  Showing
VHF+ equipment off can lead to folks understanding that it isn't
magically hard (though it is magical, at times), and is possible.

   A member of our club came out on Saturday and did some
operating, and contacted a station on 6, 2, 222, 432 and 1296.  I
know that 1296 was new for him, and likely 222 was.  He left
with a understanding of this corner of the hobby, and just
perhaps, he'll be back and help us at future contests.

   If your club(s) are like ours, FD is the best attended event, so
having VHF+ bands other than 6 and 2 would be really good, and
will even generate a few more points.  The larger issue of course
is exposing more folks to VHF+ world.

   Let's be cheerleaders!

--STeve Andre'
wb8wsf  en82