[VHFcontesting] Problems, problems and more problems...

To: VHF Contesting email <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Problems, problems and more problems...
From: Steve Clifford <k4gun.r@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:30:46 -0400
Ugh... this is going to be a tough contest.  I have more bugs this time than
in any previous year.  I'll spare the details on the lack of a 432 amp and
get right to the worst problem.  My Demi Transverter for 222 is all ready to
go.  Unfortunately, the radio that will be used to run it, isn't.  I'm using
an Icom IC746 Pro that worked just fine in January.  Now however, when I use
the RCA plug to key the transverter, I have a problem.  It seems to be
constantly grounded.  The instant the plug goes in, the transverter is keyed
into transmit.

That can't be good.

I'm pretty sure its the Icom and not the Demi.  (WARNING!!!  Admission that
I am an appliance operator to follow)  I used my handly little volt/ohm
meter on the center pin of the cable when plugged into the Icom.  With one
lead on the center pin and the other grounded to the truck, the ohm meter
jumps to full tilt.  When I press the PTT, it moves slightly, but its
obvious that nothing major really changed.  I'm thinking that's not a good
thing.

So here's my short term solution.  I have turned the Icom sideways in the
rack in the back seat of the truck.  When a station wants to QSY to 222, my
wife (K4LIG) will tune to the appropriate frequency.  I will jump out of the
truck and hold the cable to the back of the radio.  When I key up the mic, I
will touch the pin to the socket to turn the transverter into the transmit
mode and make the contact.

Long term, I obviously need a cure.  Anybody in central VA want a project
for the summer?  LOL.

This will be an interesting contest.  I'm just hoping for a big 6 meter
opening and then I'll be too busy to worry about it.

Steve
K4GUN/R