[VHFcontesting] W9ZRX - EM87 Progress

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] W9ZRX - EM87 Progress
From: "Dave Zeph" <zephd@indy.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 19:17:00 -0400
My xyl and I woke up this morning to nearly continuous thunder and drenching
rain.  We waited until noon to make the trip up the road to Birch Knob.  We
found one point along the road nearly impassable because of erosion.  Trucks
or 4-Wheeler probably have no problem, but it's going to be a white knuckle
moment each time we take the Odyssey through that spot.

We had about 4-1/2 hours before the rumbling began.  We had been hearing it
for an hour so we had put most everything away.  We got in the Odyssey just
as the first raindrops fell.  It rained heavily on the way down and I
stopped at one point to wait for it to calm down a bit so I could see.

We have the tower assembled, the base set, and the next task is to assemble
and mount the 6 & 2M yagis.  I've had to drop back from a 40-ft to a 32-ft
tower.  There isn't enough room - without sacrificing the 2M yagi.  Land is
at a premium and the tower is being erected in a clearing among some fairly
tall trees.  What I really regret is that the 5-el 6M yagi won't fit because
on one dead tree (but this is a National Forest).  I brought a 3-element
M-Squared 6M yagi because I was concerned about space.  We were in a
snowstorm when we scouted the site!

The weather is SUPPOSED to be better Friday (at least until the evening).
With an early start, my xyl and I should be able to get the tower and the
Mast with the pair of PAR Loops erected before tomorrow night.

We have no Internet Access - except that which I can "poach" from parking
the car in front of the local community center.  I imagine this is my last
"connect" until Monday evening.

73 ---> Dave, W9ZRX