Re: [VHFcontesting] Useful rover tips for the new guys

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Useful rover tips for the new guys
From: Zack Widup <w9sz.zack@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 09:51:51 -0500
THIS is the type of posting I like to see here!

Since I've been Single-Op Portable in almost every VHF+ contest,
I've designed my station for setup that is as quick and easy as I can make
it. My Yagi antennas are all designed and built so they can be transported
with the elements off the booms and fastened alongside the booms for
transport. It doesn't take me long to put them together in the field.
 (Loopers, of course, have to be carried assembled.) I built a tilt-over
base with a length of 2X6 and one of those Radio Shack tilting bases, as
recommended to me by K9PW. Guy ropes with anchors hold the array up. Somehow
a 20 ft mast with 4 beams on it managed to stay up during the horrible winds
I experienced in the January VHF contest. I don't think I'll have such winds
in June.

WA9O has an interesting setup for antennas. He has a small car like mine (I
have a Toyota Corolla). I never thought I'd be able to use it as a Rover
until I saw Jerry's setup. He has one of those clamp-on top-mounting luggage
carriers. Not cheap but seems to work well. He's attached to that a
square loop of PVC pipe with several PVC T's on it. The T's allow him to put
pipes in them as masts for Yagis. I believe he has six T's, one in front and
back and two on each side. I just might try that some day.

Still have some prep to do for the June contest. My 903 MHz preamp is blown

73, Zack W9SZ