[VHFcontesting] Effective strategy for getting new (or even FM-only) con

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <timcoad@gmail.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Effective strategy for getting new (or even FM-only) contesters started
From: "Todd Sprinkmann" <sprinkies@excel.net>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:43:01 -0500
   Last night, Tim NU6S wrote:

With about 3 active rovers total in the SF Bay Area, even if it
affected 100% of them, we are not talking about a wide-spread
impact. I have never understood why 97% of the comments on this
reflector are about < 3% of the operations...

I won't put my two cents on the new rule, because I am not a rover,
but anything we can do to get more REAL activity, I would be in favor
of. Too bad there is no FM activity any more. That used to be a good
"entry" ground for VHF contesters.

Tim - NU6S
CM87

    Todd KC9BQA replies:

    Good morning, Tim,

    I have useful QST for you and anyone else who is interested in
developing more REAL contesting activity.  If anyone reading this
thinks their VHF/UHF bands are too busy, don't waste your time.  :)

    I've been trying for several years in and around SE WI
(Milwaukee area)  to get more folks contesting and on the bands.
The past year, I've really hit my stride.  I'm not saying that what I
do will work in every area, but I am saying that it is possible to
create new contesters from good ol' regular Joe Q. Ham.  It does
take some time and effort, though.

   If you, the reader, is unwilling to do the effort, then at least pass
this info along to others who may have the motivation.

    So for anyone who is interested in creating more activity on
VHF/UHF (in general) and then potentially seeing more contesting
activity as a result, here are two examples of how I do it.

    Save these links and read thru them when you have 10-20 minutes.
Don't be in a hurry and gloss over it.  Also read when you have an
open mind, because you'll want to be creative and brainstorm up
your own ways to tie into the ham population in your area.

    I am sharing what I've done and what I've seen work.  I'd enjoy
seeing what others may have done, too.   I know KA5VCH has
also done this in the Houston area.  Seeing his ideas some years
back was motivation for me.

    http://kc9bqa.com/?p=218   This link is called VHF Contesting
for New Stations, even FM only.
    http://kc9bqa.com/?p=244   This link explains how I promote
VHF/UHF to various groups on a regular basis.  Email, email, email.
More to it than that, but email does work.  Especially if you're steady
and persistent.

    Anyone who can modify or simplify these posts for their specific
needs is more than welcome to do so.  I'm just providing my own
experience.

    Tim, I notice that the Charlie Mike 88/98/87/97 grid corner
intersects very near SFO/OAK metro.  For the strategically inclined,
this is a huge opportunity to get modest FM contesters thinking about
working different grid squares.  It's also a great way to get some
beginner rovers to activate different squares, with only a modest
time commitment.

    If I lived in the Bay area, I'd find the right people with a little
creativity and enthusiasm, and get started this weekend on stirring
things up.  Prime contest season is coming up, and this is the best
time of the year to sell everyday hams on VHF/UHF'ing.

     Any questions, comments, feel free to email.
     73,
     Todd   KC9BQA    EN63ao    40 N of Milwaukee
     http://www.kc9bqa.com    For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates