Re: [VHFcontesting] How many people are affected by the new rule change?

To: VHF Contesting Reflector <VHFContesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] How many people are affected by the new rule change?
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 00:03:17 -0600
On May 27, 2009, at 11:37 PM, Nate Duehr wrote:

> extending range out here, as you know... Denver to Cheyenne with
> modest power and antennas on 2m is "difficult" for many stations, but
> the old-timers point out that if both stations point at Pikes... done
> deal.  Works every time.

That should have read "Denver to Colorado Springs"... oops, wrong
direction.  South, not north!  :-)

If anyone can find a rover from Wyoming... let me know.  Only a few of
us go up there, and only long enough to get to Nebraska... LOL!

I still remember being shocked half to death hearing a weak one up
near Sterling, CO in the middle of the night on 2m while pointed
toward the Denver Metro area, spinning the Jeep with the fixed
antennas around to find I was pointed North West on his strongest
signal... holy cow, there's someone UP there!

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=sterling,+co&ie=UTF8&ll=39.35129,-107.666016&spn=8.153345,19.775391&z=6&iwloc=A

I think I was parked somewhere along US 385... south of Holyoke.

<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=holyoke,co&sll=40.250184,-103.74939&sspn=2.012395,4.943848&ie=UTF8&ll=40.580585,-102.653503&spn=2.002539,4.943848&z=8

It was a VHF contester in Western Nebraska I'd never heard before ...
ever ... up near Scottsbluff, NE... who was madly trying to get my
attention knowing I was pointed the wrong way... worked him on 6m, 2m,
and UHF... and promised to point his way as I worked my way South
along the Colorado/Kansas border the next morning after a little
sleep ... in the Jeep... it was 1AM in the morning...

Hey... just stumbled across this news tidbit... "embitterment" is now
officially a mental illness.  Those who feel a bit too bitter about
the team rovers taking over roving, may want to read this:
<http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-bitterness25-2009may25,0,4544029.story

GRIN!
--
Nate Duehr, WY0X