[VHFcontesting] an open letter to the ARRL

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] an open letter to the ARRL
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 10:37:52 -0700
To the ARRL PSC and Ethics Committees.

            My name is Frank Bechdoldt, my call is K3UHF, I have been a ham for
25 years when I got my ticket at the age of 13.  I was active in Mars while
aboard the USS Nimitz, and a few various ARRL clubs over the years. However as
life goes, I lost interest in other than 2 meter FM sometime around 1992 but
re-discovered interest in ham radio in 2002.

            When I decided to get back in and I realized I could get an Yaesu
FT 847 that did a lot things like vhf sideband for the same price as an HF
radio 10 years before. So I purchased an 847 and got on the air on vhf SSB with
a hidden antenna and a tuner.  I accidentally ran into a vhf contest and worked
over 100 people on 6, 2 and 432 with a 100 foot hidden long wire. (I had
CC&R’s).  I was hooked.

            I then decided to make a vhf rover station to go out in the Jan
2003 contest. I faithfully roved every vhf plus and even changed my call sign
to reflect my enthusiasm for the high bands.   After building my station up to
6 bands in 2004 I then by chance I ran into a group of what we call “grid
circlers” working together as a team of three cars with fm handhelds on all the
bands up to 1.2 GHz and Ramsey laser kits.

            The group was a bit standoffish as I watched as they shuffled their
cars around the grid square intersection working only each other for points.
It was a sight to see as they all worked each other from about 500 feet apart.
I didn’t think much of it and I moved on.

            A few months later I realized that this group what was only
equipped with handhelds beat my station by a 10 to one margin.  You can see my
rig under my call on qrz.com.  I then re-doubled my efforts added a 7th band
and posted a score twice as big the next year.  However when I opened up my QST
I seen that a group of grid circlers in California did the same thing as the
group I witnessed near Seattle, but refined it to a level and score that it
made it impossible for a station who is trying to work everyone to compete.  IE
my 70000 pt score working 600 QSO’s with 250 unique stations could not compete
with a group of three people working only themselves at grid corners to
generate 800-900 QSO’s with only two other unique stations.

            For your understanding here is the online dictionary definition of
Grid Circling in your contests.

           Grid circling
Grid circling is a highly-coordinated operation of two or more rover stations.
Two or more rover stations arrive at an area near the intersection of four
Maidenhead grid locators, and "circle" through the possible combinations of
grid locators, making contacts in each combination. The rover stations then
drive to the next intersection of grid locators on their planned route and
repeat the process. Stations participating in grid circling do not need to be
capable of communicating over distances longer than a few miles. Even without
making contact with any other stations in the contest, grid circling stations
can generate large scores just by contacting the other stations in their small,
tightly-coordinated group.

Some object to the activity because it does not contribute to the contest at
large; the stations in the grid circling effort generally do not contact many
other stations in the contest. Others object to the unfairness of these
stations competing in the same category as other rover stations that do not
grid circle, and who are at a perceived scoring disadvantage. Grid circlers
themselves often argue that the technical and operational challenges of such an
operation represent significant achievement, and the activity, if discouraged,
is not explicitly prohibited. Some suggest that grid circling should be
allowed, but such teams of station should be ranked in a separate category from
other rovers.

            Several rule modificatins have been tried to address this issue.
Rule changes have came out without much open discussion in the community as a
whole and resulted in even greater contoversy.  I would suggest that there be
open hearings when you propose a rule change so people can point out potential
issues before said rules are in place.

            The issue I bring to bith the PSC and Ethic committees is the
ethical implications of the current VHF rules.  The VHF rulese clearly
encourages everyone to work as many people as possible but there are no teeth
to these rules.  Several winners of all three rover catagories are now from a
single group of stations working as a team with a very low percentage of QSOs
with parties outside of their team as compared to their competitors.

            The failure here is the reluctance of the ARRL to put a solid
firewall between the two different contesting activities. That is pratice of
working your team mates for points as compared to trying to work as many
stations as possible for points.

            The failed attemt to curb this was the unlimited rover with the
intent for team activites to remain there. However the group in California put
a teram together of 6-8 stations all owned by one man who worked each other in
1000 foot long QSOs  in all three catagories to win all three catagories
nationally.  I ask the ethics committee is this ethically correct and the will
of the ARRL?

            If so, the rule encouraging people to work as many stations as
possible should be stricken and replaced with generate as many QSOs as possible.

            The VUAC recomemned a lower maximum number of Rover to rover QSOs
and a max perecntage of rover to Rover QSO’s in a log for non unlimited rovers.
This was passed over by the PSC without giving a reason for doing so.    Now a
single man can send out 10 stations who can work each other station up to 100
times on gear all owned by one man to put up a monster score with 900
gaurenteed QSO’s and the grids/ multipliers  to go with them. Is this what you
guys think is ethically correct.

            Another flaw in the rules is the use of check logs.  This guy who
may have 10- 10 band stations could send out 4 limiteds, 5 traditional rovers
and one unlimited.  The 4 limiteds could work the unlimited and traional guys
on the higher bands and enter them as check logs while the unlimited and
traditional applies tehm to the their score.  Furthermore the tradional rovers
could check log the lower point valued contacts with the limited rovers while
applying the higher valued contacts to their logs until they reach the 100 per
other rover match. Also 9 out of 10 stations would still inflate their clubs
score here.

            A station should not be allowed to make contacts on bands that are
not part of their total contest log.  IE no hy-brid situations where half of
your QSO’s are not part of the official log.  His leads to other forms of
ethically questionable behavior.  For instance, in my last contest I only made
8- 1.2 ghz contacts, and 1- 902 mhz contact   if I would of check logged those
contacts and dropped to the limited class I would of doubled the national
winner’s score.  However if you leave your driveway with 6 bands you should be
a 6 band station period.  I ask you to fix that ASAP.

            Check logs should also be 100 percent check logs, no cherry picking
contacts. A rover should have to apply the first 100 contacts in his log with
another individual rover as the contacts and not cherrie pick them.  A station
entering a contest log should not be allowed to enter a check log and the rover
club distance radius should be dropped to avoid confusion.

            I believe the current practices by Wayne Overbeck are an ethical
violation of what your contest is encouraging.  I would like it formally
investigated.

            I would also like to see the ARRL to publish all logs entered. As a
dues paying member I have the right to see the info generated to create the
awards I pay for as a member.

            Finally the latest rule change as of yesterday is couter productive
to grow roving.  I am dropping down to 4 bands because the practice of grid
circling is somewhat contained there.  Someone who wants to graduate from
limited to traditional would have to gather together 9 other 10 band stations
as well as build his own and cordinate short distance QSOs across easily
acessable flat terrain to compete with the current winners.  That’s quite a
jump from owning a icom 706 and a 222 transverter.

Sincerely

Frank Bechdoldt

K3uhf