[VHFcontesting] Fw: Re: Picking a Bone With Gene

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Fw: Re: Picking a Bone With Gene
From: Gene Gabry <gene_n9tf@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 15:18:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 5/4/09, Gene Gabry <gene_n9tf@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Gene Gabry <gene_n9tf@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Picking a Bone With Gene
To: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 5:16 PM

With the same respect Les, I would agree with Gene's comments. With FSK441 it
IS the computer software that is decoding and desiphering (SP?) the signal and
it's contents within the "noise" of the receiver that the human ear cannot
detect to desipher. In CW and SSB the "human" ear and brain make the judgement
as to what is being heard and report that to the log. I think the line is drawn
as to who or what is actually decoding the data. The question is now, what is
the point of the contest? Is it a test of the human element, or the computer
and it's software? To take it another step further, I would venture to say that
most SSB and CW contacts are random, more often than computer generated types,
that mostly require a sked. Which makes SSB and CW contacts more of an unknown,
as I've gotta listen and concentrate to get the data. Whereas in WSJT mode,
with a sked, the two ops already know what to be watching for on the screen,
and if it's close, it's in the
 log.

Don't get me wrong, I think the no signal heard or seen digital modes are
wonderful and I do use them occasionally. I go back to my original question,
what are we testing in a contest, human ability to decode or machine?

Gene N9TF