[VHFcontesting] WA4ZKO EM78pp 432 Spring Sprint wrapup & rant

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] WA4ZKO EM78pp 432 Spring Sprint wrapup & rant
From: Jeff Thomas <wa4zko@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:24:59 -0700 (PDT)
Well maybe my pathetic low score will help others appreciate the higher levels
of activity around them in their respective areas.

The short version:

A whopping 4 QSO's in 2 grids, 3 states, total score of 8!  D
W9JDT  EM79  Indiana
KB8DDZ  EM79  Ohio
KC8E  EM79  Ohio - a new local station on 432?
KA1ZE/3 - FN01  Pennsylvania

I did not work anyone in my own state (KY) or my own grid. Yet once more it
felt like I was the only one on the air in my own state. Not a peep out of TN,
Lexington, or Louisville areas (sadly seems to be the trend). I spent a LOT of
time calling CQ in those directions, the voice keyer and rotor were kept busy.
If someone was on down to my south and didn't find me, they were not trying
very hard ;-)

No sign of anyone up in the mountains to the east or southeast. Maybe the band
was just in horrible shape in those directions.

Longer version:

I got started on time and everything checked out fine even though I was
changing out some coax jumpers just prior to the contest. Usually such last
minute changes are just asking for Uncle Murphy to pay me a visit, grin. I'd
been using some N to SO339 adapters on my 432 feed, which I know is not a good
idea. Hey at least I used quality adapters! Replacing these adapters was one of
many projects on my eternal "to do" list. So now everything on 432 from rig to
antenna is either 7/8 LDF, LMR400, or 9913F (flex for jumper around rotor), N
connectors, and no PL259's to be found in the circuit.

One of the toggle switches on my Yaesu rotor broke on me during the start of
the 2m sprint. Not complaining, it's about 8-9 years old and seen a lot of
action. I've got replacement switches on order, so I was operating somewhat
handicapped by using a couple clip on jumper wires and shorting them together
to move the beams CCW. A real pain when trying to peak someone, not very
elegant, but it works!

Now keep in mind that the EM78/EM79 area of the Ohio Valley has never been a
hotbed of 432 activity. That said, you used to be able to expect at least half
a dozen locals to be on the air.

So 7PM rolls around and I was on the air/. After about 15 minutes I almost
wanted to go out and check to see if the antenna was still up there, dead, I
mean DEAD even for 432, not a soul to be found. Finally after about half an
hour of listening to static, W9JDT and KB8DDZ came on the air and gave me a
couple locals to work. Thankfully I had some other little projects to keep me
busy and pass time.

No sign of the WD4GSM or K4IDC 432 beacons. Usually I can just detect WD4GSM/B
and K4IDC/B is a bit stronger and readable even if the band is flat. Don't know
if either are on the air, so maybe they are down? W9JDT and KB8DDZ's signals
were right where they should be, so I knew my receiver and antenna were working
fine. My gut feeling is the band was down and below average conditions, but
then again the 410 mile path to KA1ZE/3 was interesting.

Around 0027Z I hear K9JK faintly on 432, but gone as fast as he popped in.
About half an hour later I stumble across a weak WC8E up in EM79 on the north
side of Cincy. First time I've worked him, so I think he's new to the 432 scene
(good thing). He's weak and with a lot of multipath distortion on him (or his
rig was drifting all over the place), but we made it work out.

For several 15-20 minute spells up to 10PM'ish I spent a LOT of time calling CQ
(voice keyer is a wonderful thing) on .130, .120, and I never got a single
reply. Admittedly I focused a lot on paths to the SE, S, SW and around to the
NW trying to stir things up.

After 9PM'ish I even called a lot on the calling frequency which is something
I'm adverse to doing during contest, especially on the lower bands. I never got
any replies...never heard much either when stopped to tune around a bit. In
hindsight, focusing more on the N and NE paths might of helped, but I was
hoping to stir up some action to the south (which has been strangely VERY DEAD
for the last several contests). I mean, where the heck are the southern KY and
Tennessee guys??? Not a peep from the usual station or two on the mountaintops
of Western NC either.

Again, glad I didn't make the 4 hour trip to Black Mountain in EM86nv! It MIGHT
of opened up paths to the E and SE for me. Most likely I'd probably worked
W9JDT and spent the rest of the evening listening to static or the nearby
WD4GSM beacon (if it is on the air). I tell you, if the June and July contests
don't turn up some of the usual gang/local activity levels, I'm thinking about
tossing the towel in. I hate to be a pessimist, but geez what has happened to
local/semi-local activity levels in the last year or two??

I thought I heard a rover (or two) up around Chicago or maybe southern
Michigan, but could never hear them good enough to get a callsign more less get
their attention.

Around 2130 I worked KA1ZE/3 in FN01 and that was it. Spent another half hour
or so CQ'ing (often on 432.1 in ALL directions) with no luck.

For those fussin' about only working a dozen plus contacts....I'll trade with
you! Want low activity...come operate down here in EM78/EM79! Be glad you have
the activity levels you've got in your area ;-)

All my ranting aside, thanks to those I worked and all the others that put up
the good fight contest after contest to be on the air  in their respective
areas.

73
Jeff
WA4ZKO