Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwiw: Cabrillo Band Designations

To: Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Fwiw: Cabrillo Band Designations
From: John Kemker <john@kemker.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 00:16:36 -0400
I've got an idea:

Use XML.  Forget the ancient ones who will say that XML was considered
for Cabrillo but not used because it's harder to program for.  There are
SO many XML libraries out there that you'd be hard-pressed to NOT be
able to find one for your favorite development environment.

In addition, ADIF is just SO close to XML it makes one weep.  An XML
standard based upon the base ADIF tags, but regularized to be truly XML
compliant.

Yes, I'll work on the standards team.  I'll even contribute an initial
specification for consideration.

Advantages:
* Well-understood, standardized syntax
* Well-supported in a wide variety of programming languages/environments.
* When properly defined, easily understood by humans
* Supported by Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Safari web
browsers, among others
* Extensible, allowing developers and contest committees to customize
within a standardized framework
* Contest committees can issue an XML template that describes the
logging rules and an application might simply read in the XML then use
that to present the logging form.

Disadvantages:
* Size.  XML-based contest logs will take up more space than Cabrillo.
* Library overhead.  Cabrillo doesn't require libraries to write logs.
You could write an MS-BASIC or COBOL program with no special libraries
to log using Cabrillo.  (Hmm.  I just got a copy of OpenCOBOL and have
been wanting to teach myself COBOL.  I think I just figured out my
project to do so...)
* Installed User Base.  Cabrillo is already widely used.

Walter - K5EST wrote:
> ..
> ..............top reply................
> ..
>
> Ev,
>
> I am all for your efforts to unify us with a simple logger. Actually if you
> can put together an easy to use international format then maybe it
> could be a reporting standard. Boy, wouldn't that be fine....everyone
> on the same program and reports would all look alike. Sure would
> make log checking much easier.
>
> Thanks for your efforts.
>
> 73....Walter - K5EST - EM48mu
>

> On 4/8/09, Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> --- On Wed, 4/8/09, Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yup, I know the 4 meter band is not available for us to
>>> use.  That is why I was surprised that you were even thinking of
>>> putting it in the Cabrillo. To me it is sort of "who cares".
>>>
>> Great thread, Walter!
>>
>> In fact, I'm thinking in terms of assembling a grass-roots effort to
>> supplement CQ's excellent 2-band international contest with other contests,
>> but based on km-DX rather than Grid4xQSOpoints.
>>
>> If a simple (read that s-i-m-p-l-e) to use logger can be made available to
>> unify our world a little...all the better.
>>
>> In a nutshell...I'm thinking "international", with W/VE issues
>> addressed...rather than W/VE specific and "cobbled" for the international
>> community.
>>
>> Ev, W2EV

--JohnK
73 de W5NNH
10X 75371/M&M 117/SMIRK 6185/TRA 2499/Norcross 228 F&AM

---
Virus Database (VPS): 090410-0, 04/10/2009
Tested on: 4/11/2009 12:16:38 AM