Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-706MK2G Final Transistor

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Icom IC-706MK2G Final Transistor
From: Jim Aguirre <w7dhc@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:51:49 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
I just had a conversation this past weekend with Kuni Okuma (W7JV), a
well-known Icom repair man, on this very subject this past weekend.  Kuni told
me that the Motorola finals are no longer available and there is no substitute.

Icom changed the 706MK2G design a while back to use Mitsubishi finals.  The
only way to convert one of the older units with Motorola finals to Mitsubishi
finals is to replace the main circuit board to accommodate the new Mitsubishi
finals.  Kuni said the cost of doing that would be approximately $600; more
than the radio is worth.

That's really unfortunate as a lot of folks...including me...have the older
version with the Motorola finals.  If/when they die, the old versions are just
so much junk.

If you are interested in contacting Kuni for more details or other repair work
(he's a superb technician; retired from Icom and running his own shop), go to
http://www.w7jv.com/ for contact information.

Jim - W7DHC