Re: [VHFcontesting] Using 5.8ghz Networking for VUCC Credit

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, les@highnoonfilm.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Using 5.8ghz Networking for VUCC Credit
From: Christopher Burke <chris@n9yh.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 00:07:12 -0600
On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 7:12 PM, <vhfcontesting-request@contesting.com>wrote:

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:42:25 -0600
> From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
> Subject: [VHFcontesting] Using 5.8ghz Networking for VUCC Credit
>
> One idea that we've kicked around is to purchase 5.8ghz Wi-Fi routers
> and/or networking cards, and then modify their firmware to place them on
> amateur channels. We would then use external high gain antennas (loop yagis)
> to get the necessary gain for the long range link. It might be necessary to
> add some sort of external amplifier to complete the 60 or so mile path.

Rock solid, though just be aware that there are some within the ARRL that
don't think that contacts made with consumer Wi-Fi gear count, at least in
contests.  Supposedly the VUAC was going to take this up.  I have no idea
how this would affect your operation here.  (I personally think it's just
fine - as long as you're on amateur frequencies, any mode works.)

> So, I've got a ton of questions:
>
> 1. Anyone else attempted this? I'm sure I must be missing something since
> the ARRL isn't giving away 5.8ghz VUCC's like candy....

I don't know about VUCC, but there are a few messages in the archives here
about people attempting contacts using Wi-Fi.  I don't know how successful
they were.  One that I can remember used NetMeeting.  A few of us were going
to attempt Wi-Fi contacts during the January contest, but somebody from the
group made the mistake of asking the ARRL about it first (he failed to
realize it's always easier to get forgiveness than permission HI HI), they
said they'd take it up in committee, and we put it aside.

> 2. Would it be permissible to transmit our callsigns and signal reports
> using SSID? For example, N1LF 26, similar to WSJT mode exchanges. Or is
> there something more efficient and practical that we could use to exchange
> the data over these long paths?

Yeah, you probably could, but it's a little unwieldy.  You actually need 2
transmissions, your exchange and an acknowledgment.  You just looking at
your buddy's SSID and him looking at yours isn't enough - you need to also
exchange some form of "QSL" or "roger" so the SSID's would have to change.

If you can manage it, I think the best way is to get 2 routers and set them
up in "bridge" mode, then both of your computers would basically be on the
same network and you could use whatever you wanted to do your exchange.  I
wouldn't go with network cards - the power is low, and you'll have to use
longer feedlines.  With WAPs, you can basically stick them up on a pole
right next to the antenna so you'll have like 8 inches of feedline rather
than 20 feet.

If you're on the same subnet, you can do whatever to send your exchange.
The slickest way would be to use something like Pidgin to send text messages
to one another using the Bonjour protocol.  The easiest way would probably
be to enable Windows file sharing and transfer a small text file over the
network.  You could also use web pages or FTP...  Just about anything,
really.  Manually set your IP addresses instead of using DHCP will make it
easy.  If you guys are using Linux or MacOS it's even easier - just use
netcat.

> 3. Flat panel patch antennas with advertised gain of 21dbi are very
> inexpensive. Any chance we could complete the path using these alone?

I dunno.  I'm sure someone on this list is smart enough to figure out the
path loss and tell you.  That seems like a lot of gain for a patch antenna
to me.  Also if they're really cheap, the coax and connections might not be
the best.  You can always give it a shot, of course, but I'm betting that
you'll probably want to make something yourself.  Your transmitter isn't
going to have much power (70 mW or so), so extra effort in the antenna and
feedline system will make a big difference here...  Maybe a patch on one end
and a high gain directional on the other might be a good way to go.  The
gain will help on one end, and the patch on the other will make it easier to
line up.

73!  Chris N9YH

--
Chris Burke