[VHFcontesting] K5QE Contest activities

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] K5QE Contest activities
From: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 13:57:31 -0600
Hello to everyone interested in VHF contesting.....

The January VHF contest is looming in the near future.  We will be
operating the K5QE contest station for the entire contest(assuming that
we can come up with enough operators....HI).

For those stations that are outside our normal range, I invite you to
try to work us on 6M and / or 2M using digital meteor scatter or 2M EME.

We will be operating FSK441 on 6M beginning at 9:30PM Central Saturday
night on a frequency of 50.268MHz and we will take first sequence.
Occasionally, we will call CQ on 50.260 UP8--but we intend to work on
50.268MHz first sequence.  If we happen to find a station calling CQ, we
will answer them on their given frequency, but most of the time we will
be on 50.268.  This is a good opportunity for smaller stations to get a
DX contact on 6M, because the chances of an Es opening in Jan are not
very good.  Please give us a try on 6M meteor scatter.  We run 1KW
output on 6M meteor scatter with fairly large antennas.

On 2M, we will start at 9:30PM Sat night with FSK441 meteor scatter on a
frequency of 144.142MHz and we will take first sequence.  Again, if we
find someone calling CQ elsewhere, we will work that station on their
frequency.  We may call CQ UP2 on 144.140MHz, but we will be working
stations on 144.142MHz if at all possible.  Again, this is a good chance
for smaller stations to get some good 2M DX and a "rare" grid during the
contest.  We get one too...a WIN-WIN situation!!  We run a stacked pair
of 17el M2's at 160ft and 1KW output on 2M FSK.

The moon rises here at 1AM Central on Sunday(=0700Z Sunday).  At that
time, we will start EME operations using JT65b on a frequency of
144.142MHz and we will take SECOND sequence.  If you are EME capable,
please try to work us off the moon.  Remember that stations with a
single long yagi and QRO may be able to work us on their rising moon.
For stations way East of us, this may not work as the moon may be too
high before it rises here.  However, for everyone else, there is a good
chance that we can work.  Stations out West get the increased gain from
their rising moon, so give us a try.  We run 8 x 2M18XXX with the custom
EME elements and 1250W output(1500W output if it is a rare one.....HI).
Pictures of the EME antenna are on my web site.  It is a really FB
antenna and we would love to work you in the contest.......all new
multipliers gratefully apprecitated.

If / when we work all the EME stations that we can find, we will return
to 2M FSK441 operation, probably about 4AM Central(=1000Z) until 7AM
Central.  Those times should be good for meteor scatter as meteor
scatter is usually best in the early morning hours.

We will cease digital operation at 7AM Central(=1300Z) on Sunday morning
and revert to normal tropo type operations.  If things get REALLY slow
on 2M, we may do some more EME Sunday afternoon from about 3PM to 6PM
Central, but no promises right now.

Due to the ARRL's rules, I cannot post to the prop loggers(DX World or
N0UK's EME logger) during the contest.  PLEASE spot us on the logger if
you see us or hear us.....even if we are working someone else.  IF you
are not entering the contest, you can post freely to the loggers.  While
we cannot post to the loggers, we are a Multi-Multi station and
therefore, we can LOOK at the loggers, even if we cannot reply.

If you wish to contact us, please do so off the reflector.  I will be
glad to hear from you.

The entire group here at K5QE wishes everyone a great New Year and good
DX on VHF / UHF in 2009.  73 Marshall K5QE