Re: [VHFcontesting] 1296 station improvement

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 1296 station improvement
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 08:15:04 -0500 (CDT)
Hi Ed,

Just curious how the 10W level is limiting you. What ranges are you trying
to get? Are you surrounded by buildings and trees? Do you live on a hill,
or in a valley?  In town or out in the country? With an antenna only up
20-30 feet around obstructions, that could limit you far more than the 10
watts.

You could get/build a bigger amp. Something with a couple 7289's would be
pretty good.

But there is also something to be said about mast-mounted transverters. I
do most of my 1296 operation portable from hilltops, and use a transverter
mounted right under the antenna with a run of about a foot of UT-141 to
the antenna. That minimizes coax losses on receive as well as transmit. I
don't think I've failed to work anyone I could hear at the 10-watt level
with that setup. I've routinely worked Milwaukee (~250 miles) with 10
watts.

I'd definitely go with the mast-mounted preamp if I weren't going to use a
mast-mounted transverter.

73, Zack W9SZ