[VHFcontesting] 2008 UHF and possibly a chance to be "published"

To: VHF Contesting <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 2008 UHF and possibly a chance to be "published"
From: "John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK" <k9jk73@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 14:14:22 -0500
Hello VHFcontesting readers, Further to Duffey's note about submitting logs for
this year's UHF Contest. First thanks to ALL who participated, whether you
submitted your log or not.

The 200 log submitted count that Duffey referenced was "my" hope and it is
looking 2008 will end up a bit shy of that number BUT, presuming a similar
count of paper logs in 2008 as were submitted in 2007, 2008's count WILL BE
HIGHER than 2007's total of 166. Obviously, it's not possible to go back in
time and make contacts in a past contest BUT, if you did make even the smallest
effort, and have your contacts recorded but just didn't submit them, it's NOT
TOO LATE to do it. As Sean, Contest Branch Manager at ARRL shared with us, logs
for the 2008 UHF Contest will be accepted until THIS SATURDAY, 9/6, through
2359 UTC (basically FOUR extra days! TWO of which have yet to pass). And even
if you didn't use a logging program, it's REAL easy to submit your QSO
info...the web forms that Bruce, WA7BNM, has provided are REALLY easy to use
(go to http://b4h.net/cabforms/arrluhfaug_cab3.php for the UHF Contest Web Form
and THANKS AGAIN to Bruce for making these available). As some of yo
 u may recognize, I've been the author of the UHF Contest Results article in
QST for the past three years, after making the mistake of "volunteering" to Dan
Henderson with my offer to try and fill those big shoes left by Bill Seabreeze,
W3IY, who had written the article in 2004 after Dan's (and others) prior
writings. And, I'll be the author for the 2008 UHF Contest Results article as
well. While there are only TWO pages allocated for the results in QST, I am
told that there is UN-Limited space for the "Web Report" (though viewable only
by ARRL members) which ended up NOT being completed in 2007, since the Web
Report would have, essentially, been identical to the QST Article which was
made available in the pdf format. I'd like to CHANGE that for 2008 and here is
where contest participants can help. The "opportunity" is to prepare a Sidebar.
For the UHF Contests there are several excellent examples available. Jon Platt,
W0ZQ, wrote a series of three Sidebar articles regarding
 the first three "Rover-manias" in 2004 through 2006. Bill Seabreeze wrote one
for 2003 that was titled "Bill and Christophe's Excellent Adventure - An August
Roving Story" (hmmm, was there a "pun" there? "August" as an adjective in
addition to the name of the month). Also in 2003, there was "A Rover Story from
Rural Minnesota", written by Jon Fox, W0AMT. You, too, may be able to see (if
you are an ARRL member, that is) "your" story on the web if you'd like to try
your hand at a "Sidebar" related to the August UHF Contest. If you have an idea
that you'd like to "test" as a possible "Sidebar" for this year's UHF Contest,
drop me a direct e-mail. (Even if you happen to not be an ARRL member so you're
not able to see any of these, I WOULD STILL welcome your interest in writing a
sidebar and _might_ be able to send you a "sample" of one, though I probably
need to get an okay from HQ to send that to you).

Thanks in advance and 73, JK