[VHFcontesting] new rover

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] new rover
From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 10:36:55 -0600
Frank - Good points. I would add a few points.

The Arrow antenna is probably a poor choice for a beginning rover. The
two bands have orthogonal polarization and the beginner is best off
with horizontal polarization. In addition, the 440 side of the Arrow
has its best gain above the band. Two meter performance is OK. One can
do better with simple homebrew antennas.

I have no experience with the Elk antennas, but I think that stacking
short gain antennas is probably good strategy, particularly in well
populated areas.

I am curious as to your experiences roving with a 6M Moxon. How does
it hold up at 13 feet while in motion? How does the truck drive with
that large antenna up that high? I am thinking of making one that is
switchable in direction.

I second your comments on being able to take apart the rover quickly.
I can dismantle mine in a half hour and I think that anything longer
would be a real drag after spending an entire weekend.

How much power do you run with the TE amps and how do you supply power
to them? - Duffey

--
KK6MC
James Duffey