[VHFcontesting] 902/3 filters

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 902/3 filters
From: "Steve Tripp \(K1IIG\)" <stephen.tripp@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:41:04 -0400
 All,
I see some great suggestions on how to deal with 902/903 problems. Here in
the NE we are inundated with cellsites that can kill us on 903, not to
mention all the other shared services in that band. FYI, as a retired
Cingular/ATT engineer they do not have the best TX filtering and if you live
near one, you can have extreme overload. I happen to have one 150' from my
ham tower with S50+ signals which tends to destroy my front end on 903. AT&T
is licensed to transmit on 880-894mhz and if you live within a mile, you
will hear them on 902-3. Nextel is somewhere on 901 and they too will kill
us. They, Nextel, has forced AT&T to place notch filters in their TX to help
with overload. I had them do so at my cellsite and it DID NOT HELP.

I found some TX/RX single cans on Ebay for $20 and bought 4 of them. I
carefully did a slope tune of them so 903 was on the lagging edge (not
center tuned) creating  a sharp highpass filter. This worked but I had to
except 4db insertion loss on Rcv. I tried a single large can with the same
loss but was worse on rejecting the 880-894mhz cellular RFI.

What a shame all this great equipment is going to the junk yard. If you know
an AT&T tech, buy him/her a beer and let them lead you to the sites where
they leave this stuff outside. Focus on the AIF (antenna interface frame)
for filters, preamps and lots of SMA jumpers.

Steve
K1IIG