[VHFcontesting] 900mhz Commercial Conversions

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 900mhz Commercial Conversions
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:30:24 -0500
I'm interested in handing out some 900mhz FM contacts to other weak signal
operators during the upcoming contests. My eventual hope is to add a 900mhz
transverter to my operation, but in the meantime, I have installed a 25 element
900mhz loop yagi and 1/2" hardline to the shack.

My thought was perhaps it would be possible to obtain a converted commercial
radio, such as a Motorola or GTX radio, and use them on simplex for this
purpose. That turned out to be in error. I quickly discovered that most of the
weak signal operators had transverters that would not operate in the high end
of the amateur band (around 927mhz) but instead needed to be closer to the
calling frequency at 902.1mhz.

Is anyone aware of a unit that can be programmed to operate in FM simplex near
the bottom of the band?

Failing that, perhaps someone has a transverter for this band that they aren't
using and might need a new home. Any help appreciated. Trying to avoid dropping
a lot of money into a band that will get little use for me, but would like to
give out some contacts for the locals. FM seemed like a good stop gap measure.
It worked for me during the June contest while my 222 rig was in the shop.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf

Les Rayburn, director