[VHFcontesting] grid circling scenarios

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] grid circling scenarios
From: frank bechdoldt <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 17:10:59 -0700
Actually under the old rules or unlimited you can get 160 qsos from a 4 grid
intersection.
As demostrated by the logs in earlier contests.

Station 1     Station 2
Grid A      to   Grid A
Grid A   to     Grid B
Grid A   to     Grid C
Grid A   to     Grid D
Grid B   to     Grid A
Grid B   to     Grid B
Grid B   to     Grid C
Grid B   to     Grid D
Grid C   to     Grid A
Grid C   to     Grid B
Grid C   to     Grid C
Grid C   to     Grid D
Grid D to       Grid A
Grid D  to      Grid B
Grid D  to      Grid C
Grid D  to      Grid D

16 grid combinations 10 bands a bunch of points x 40 multipliers.
One group did this with 3 rovers, which is makes it a bit mote tricky to makes
sure a combination isn't missed.

Some participants do this in farmers fields which must be a hoot for the farmer
to watch.

I never heard of anyone circling each other from far away though I do see and
have changes grids to benifit a rover, myself or a home station that finally
found me.

I have worked one rover 9 out of the 16 combinations without any schedule as he
drove down the road and I changed grids.  He went up 101 while I went east to
I-5.

We have one intersection in the middle of a road which is a blind corner and
you would be nuts to do it there. Another in a subdivision near Seattle, where
I seen one group opperate.  One smack dab in tthe middle of the columbia river
and I don't know if anyone tried that one here. It would be alot of bridge
crossings and hill climbing.

So its not easy up here like it is in the flatlands, except for the lack of
public lands as you travel east from the pacific ocean.

k3uhf