[VHFcontesting] Limited Roving - Worth the Effort?

To: vhfsouth@n5ac.com, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Limited Roving - Worth the Effort?
From: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 21:49:19 -0500
Hello to all....This reply has gotten long too, so it may fall into the
LONG RANT category too....Sorry.....

GENERAL OBSERVATIONS:
I have been watching this thread for some time with intrest.  The first
thing that I discovered was that how the NE handles rovers and how we
handle rovers is COMPLETELY different.  I am certain that the NE
strategies are CORRECT for the NE area, where the population density is
so much larger.  Please don't assume that this post is a great big flame
of the NE participants and how they operate.  That is not true, so save
the flames for starting fires in Dec and Jan.   I have never heard of a
"rover hang out frequency" before this discussion.

Paul, ND2X/5, spent some time telling me about how it is done up North a
long time ago.  Since I don't live there, everything that he was telling
me was foreign.  However, for one contest, we tried operating as he
suggested.  We "adopted" 144.210Mhz as our primary calling frequency and
only called on 144.200 sparingly, "listening up at 210".  We published
this strategy widely(??) in advance in our area and really tried hard to
work this way.   Our "new and improved" score was about 1/3 of our
previous score.  Since we pride ourselves on being fast learners, we
never did that again!!

I am sure this will be amazing to some, but down here in the 5th Call
District, we mostly use 144.200Mhz, but we time share.  I will call CQ
and if I get no response, after a short wait, someone near Austin will
call CQ.  If no response, after a short wait someone in the Dallas area
will call CQ.  If someone finds a "new one" the others will patiently
wait and then they will work him too.  Fixed stations that want to "run
the bands" will find each other on 144.200 and then move off to
coordinate the other bands.  If a rover shows up during a really active
part of the contest, then the rover might move off frequency to call CQ
and run the bands.  The big station(s) will announce on 144.200Mhz that
W5XYZ/R is in EL28(a rare one) and is moving to 144.175Mhz to work
everyone that is interested.  If the contest is slow(unfortunately, we
all know those times too well) the rover will stay on 144.200Mhz and
work everyone right there.  The big stations will help the rover with
difficult stations....everyone is happy.  I will admit that sometimes,
like the last hour of the contest, 144.200 gets pretty wild.  However, I
don't believe that anyone is intentionally trying to wipe everyone else
out.  There are just a lot of guys trying to get that last contact
before the contest ends.  At the end of the contest, I only call CQ with
very directional antennas pointed AWAY from Texas, so that I don't upset
the other callers(too much) as I try to find some smaller station out
there that I have not worked.

I am certain that this will not work in the NE...there are just too many
stations up there(I sort of wish that we had this problem!!!).  However,
for the much lower population density areas, this method seems to work.
I solicit the strategies of other low population density areas, either
off-line or on the reflector.

ROVER OBSERVATIONS:
I have spent some time with Paul, ND2X/R, about the best stragegies for
roving.  We don't always agree on everything, but I have tried to learn
from his vast experience.  If you are roving, but not working very much,
below are some possible thoughts.  This much is clear, you need to make
your rover as BIG as possible.   If you have already done all these
things and you still are not working anybody, some serious thinking is
in order...HI.

POWER:
The first thing that Paul told me is that rovers need to have the MAX of
power possible.  Somehow, a rover running 400W to a stacked pair of loop
type antennas is much louder than one only running 160W--never mind that
the db difference is only 4db.  ASIDE:  Paul INSISTS that real rovers
have only omni-directional antennas, so that they can "run and gun" on
the move.  I believe that Paul is absolutely right on the power
issue......we agree to disagree on the antenna thing.  We regularly work
rovers that are 400miles away on 2M, 222, and 432--sometimes we work
them on 6M too.  All of them have the 400W TE Systems brick amps on 6M
and 2M--as well as the 225W amp for 222 and the 185W amp for 432.
Certainly, it is going to be hard for a rover to be "noticed" if all you
are running is 20W or 50W from your radio.

For 902 and up, things are murkier.  I still belive that if you want to
work a rover that is way out there, there is no substitute for power(and
antennas).  On 902/903 the Motorola cell phone amps cannot be beat.
They cost $50 and will put out 250+Watts of power on 902.  Conversion is
simple, see the VHFSouth web pages under Tech Info at
http://www.vhfsouth.com/tutorials/902.htm.  There is also a smaller
version that puts out 105W or so.  Unfortunately, both require +26V, but
you can get that with an extra battery in the car in series with the
car's electrical system.  A bit more work, but well worth it.  We work
our 902 rovers out almost as far as we can work them on 432.  DEMI also
has some very nice 902/903 amps available that run on +12VDC.

For 1296, things are worse.  My limited experience with 1296 tells me
that it is just MUCH harder to work rovers on 1296.  We often have
observed that a rover that is huge on 902, is almost non-existent on
1296(we have a lot of pine trees down here).  There is no available
surplus that I am aware of for 1296 power amps, either. DEMI makes a
very nice 120W amp for 1296 that runs on +12.  It is not cheap, but it
works very well.  There are smaller amps from DEMI as well.

For 2304 and 3456, there are some very nice surplus amps available from
PyroJoe in FL.  These do require some conversion work which is not
exactly trivial, however, they work very well.  PyroJoe's eBay ID is
Pyrojoseph...check for his auctions on the 2304 and 3456 stuff.  PyroJoe
has some very nice 2304 amplifier boards that will put out 60-70W on
2304!!  They have to be built up in a box with a heat sink, fed +26V,
and connectorized.  Of course, you have to have the proper switching and
sequencing circuits, but 70W on 2304 is pretty salty in the mobile.

I think that the bottom line for rovers is this:  you have to have as
much power as possible on every band, if you want to work out well.
Your mileage may varry, others may disagree.

ANTENNAS:
Paul insists on omni antennas.  On 2M, we have some rovers that have a
stacked pair of loop type antennas and we have some that have only a
small beam.  The White Rover has both, so that it can work stations on
the move and then switch to a small beam when fixed.  This is an optimal
strategy in my mind.  You can work as many people as possible while
driving and then have more gain when stopped.  Paul never stops, so he
poo-poo's this strategy.

For all bands, but especially 2M, a pair of stacked loops is MUCH better
than a single loop.  Stacking antennas lowers the beam pattern towards
the horizon.   Nowhere is this more evident or more important than in
the rover vehicle.  In a rover, your antennas are right at the
ground(more or less) anyway, so any uptilt of the pattern due to ground
effects is really bad.  Our two biggest rovers have a stacked pair of
the M2 HO loops.  Other rovers have a stacked pair of the KB6KQ loops or
a stacked pair of the KU4AB loops.  All are much better than a single
loop.  A single loop is good to about 150 miles, while a stacked pair is
good up to 400 miles.

In our area, all the rovers except one, use medium sized beams for 222
and up.  The one exception is KE5EXX/R who uses a stacked pair of M2 HO
loops for 432.  We work him all over Arkansas, no problem.  Some guys
use Kent Britian's FB "Cheap Yagis" and some use M2 yagis.  A few use
other things....all work well.  A good 5el(2M) or a 7-11el yagi(222 to
432) can really work for the rover when he is stopped.  The extra power
gain of 10-12db makes a big difference--it helps the rover to be heard
and for the rover to work smaller fixed stations.

Bottom Line:  You need a good set of antennas in the rover.  If you use
loops, try real hard to get a stacked pair on line.  If you use yagis,
try to use a good medium length yagi(or better).  There is lots of room
for experimentation here, so put on your thinking cap.

PREAMPS:
It is clear, that no preamp is needed on 6M.  However on 2M and up, a
preamp MAY be necessary.  Some rigs are notorious for being deaf.  If
you are using an old multi-mode 2M or 432 rig, you need a preamp.  Some
newer radios, especially the "DC to light" rigs need some RX help.
Unfortunately, adding a preamp to these type systems is a lot harder
than it should be.  You have to worry about TX power getting into the
preamp and blowing the device.  If you are using the TE Systems brick
amps, they have a switched GAASFet on board.  That should usually be
sufficient on the lower bands.  If you are roving with 902, 1296, and
upward, a good preamp is vital.  You are going to have to have the
proper "steering" relays and the proper switching and / or sequencing
too, if you want the preamp to survive.  It is a lot of extra "junque",
but you have to have it.

A possible exception on preamps....If you are using high gain, low noise
transverters, such as the DEMI models, you may not need a preamp,
because the transverters have a good noise figure and a lot of gain.
For extremely long range contacts, you probably should have a preamp,
but for "run of the mill" distances, a preamp may not be needed.

Tip of the day for preamps:  We hard key all 4 lower bands(6M, 2M, 222,
and 432) whenever we talk on any one of them.  This is to keep 400W of
2M from entering the RX preamp on one of the other bands and blowing it
out.  When you have rover antennas that are mounted very close
together(a necessity), there is too much chance of power from one band
getting into another band's RX and blowing out the preamp.

Hopefully, I have addressed many of the other comments made in this
thread.  As I said, "Your mileage may vary....others may disagree".  If
these thoughts prove helpful, great!!!  If not, they are worth what you
paid for them.  See you in the CQ WW VHF Contest....the wonderful 6M and
2M contest with the simple straightforward rules.  73's Marshall K5QE