[VHFcontesting] Big Iron: Chasing VUCC With Indoor Antennas Blog

To: "VHF Contesting Reflector" <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Big Iron: Chasing VUCC With Indoor Antennas Blog
From: "Les Rayburn" <les@highnoonfilm.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:18:38 -0500
With tongue firmly in cheek, I've started a blog to help journal my persona
quest towards earning VUCC on the low bands using indoor antennas. You can view
the first few posts, along with some photos of my shack and attic antenna
installation at:

http://n1lf.blogspot.com/

It's called "Big Iron" with a nod towards the old Marty Robbins gunfighter
ballad. Working at a place called "High Noon" exposes one to quite a bit of
Western culture, and while installing my antennas, I found myself humming that
one. It's actually a very small installation, but it does convert every usable
inch of space in my attic into gain...and in that sense, it's "Big Iron" for
me.

While getting started in VHF/UHF, I never seemed to find a site that was
completely geared towards beginners in weak signal work. A lot of sites lead me
to good information, but a lot of it assumed a level of knowledge that I didn't
have, or it gave a brief introduction with the bare bones, and no way to follow
up for additional information. Hopefully my blog will be able to point out my
mistakes, pass along places where I find knowledge and help other newcomers get
up to speed much quicker than I have.

Comments welcome!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF