Re: [VHFcontesting] 6m Dominant

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6m Dominant
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 00:46:14 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Bob K0NR (email list) wrote:

> vhfcontesting-request@contesting.com wrote:
>> Message: 5
>> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:01:40 -0500 (CDT)
>> From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
>> Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6m Dominant
>> To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
>>

>> No, I don't like that idea.  Six is too much fun when it opens! If no one
>> ever gets to the higher bands in June, then they probably will in the
>> September contest.
>>
>> Having a six-meter contest could be very disappointing since you never
>> know when the band will be open. When it's closed, I usually work all the
>> available stations in my area in the first couple hours. Having six
>> available as one band in a multi-band contest makes sure you have
>> something to do when six is totally dead.
>>
>> 73, Zack W9SZ
>>

>  Besides, we already have that contest (no 6M), it is called the ARRL
> UHF Contest (August).
>  Generally boring as all heck  (per my interests...your mileage may
> vary :-)
>
>  73, Bob K0NR

Yeah, it can be boring when I run across stations that have only one or
two bands.  When I find someone who has equipment for everything thru 10
GHz, then it gets exciting for a while.

My microwave transverters are in separate boxes at this time. I operate
this contest from a hilltop.  I have to take one off to put the next one
on.  Keeps me hopping!

73, Zack W9SZ