Re: [VHFcontesting] On 6m Was: VHF Ethics and real time information sour

To: kr1st@amsat.org
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] On 6m Was: VHF Ethics and real time information sources
From: Dan Evans <dan.evans@insightbb.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:06:10 -0400
Alex wrote:
> Les Rayburn, N1LF wrote:
>

>> B. I found the contest to be too "6 Meter" dominant. Let's face it, if
>> you're interested in a high score, then it makes little sense to move
>> someone up to 2 meters or higher
>>

> I'm somewhat of a newbie too, and I concur. My wife and I were a first time
> rover this year and found that as soon as 6m opened up, that the contest got
> really really boring. I didn't built 2 and 432 capability into the rover as
> an alternative if 6m didn't open up... When 6m opened up, it became utterly
> pointless to be a rover.
>
> I would be a proponent of dropping 6 meters from the VHF contests.

Whoa!  Slow down guys:-)

Not to worry, 6 meters usually drops itself in the  September and
January contests!  Enjoy the boom conditions in June and July because 6
meter openings are much more rare in September and January.  Then  it
becomes an exercise of finding stations on 2m, and then moving them up
through the bands as quickly as possible.   And trying not to forget to
move them down to 6 meters as well.

Yes, I agree it is a drag not being able to find people to work on 2m
and up while 6 is open but that is one of the characteristics of VHF
contesting that make it so unique.  Gee, I would even like to see us add
in 10 meters to the mix:-)  And hey, lets add in the 4 meter band while
we're at it!

I bet there are a lot of ops, like me, who paid the price of missing the
2m opening because they were busy grinding out Q's on six.

It's part of the game;-)

73
Dan
--