[VHFcontesting] 6m and June VHF contest

To: <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: [VHFcontesting] 6m and June VHF contest
From: "John AA5JG" <aa5jg@lcisp.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 15:00:25 -0500
To those who have commented on how everyone was on 6m vs the other bands in the
recent contest, let me point out a few things:

1. Openings like we had Sunday are more the exception than the rule.  I have
seen some really good openings on 6m during the June contest, but I have also
seen some years where the 6m openings are few and far between.  You never know
what to expect.  Most years you will get some nice openings, but nothing of the
magnitude that we had this year, where there were contest stations up to 50.300.

2. The amount of roving is probably decreasing with the high fuel prices, and
taking 6m out of the mix will definitely kill many roving activities.  As
someone who has gone roving for quite a few contests in the past 4 years or so,
6m is an easy band to rove with.  You take a 1/4 wave mag mount, throw it on
the car, set a 6m rig on the front seat, and you are probably going to make
quite a few contacts provided there is any band opening at all. 2m and above
are much harder to rove with because you need horizontal beams to do very much,
and the number of contacts you are going to make is probably going to be much
fewer.  Many people are not going to spend $4 a gallon to hand out a couple of
QSOs on 2m and 70cm.

3. Operators have different reasons for entering contests, and their reason
will determine the strategy they take on 6m vs. other bands.  If your goal is
to win, then yes, you will stay on 6m and run stations if it is open.  Most of
us know going into the contest that we aren't going to win.  Probably less than
a dozen stations in each category have a legitimate chance of winning their
category in a VHF contest.  If you are new and chasing VUCC on 6m, then you
will probably stay there working new grids, especially if your station is kind
of marginal, since it doesn't take much to work a lot of 6m when it is really
open.

However, if you are really into chasing grids on all bands, then you will be on
2m with any hint of tropo or Es, since the grids you miss on 6m will probably
be available again this summer.  The grids you miss on a 2m Es opening might
not be available again for 5 years or more.  Being able to monitor both 6m and
2m at the same time is a definite plus.  This was the first year I was able to
do so in the past 8 years, and it really helped me catch some 2m openings I
would have missed otherwise.

4. There is nothing we can do rulewise that will please everyone, or even most
of the people.  If you don't think enough people were on 2m and up, wait until
September when 6m is dead and all the contest activity is on 2m and above.
Messing with the rules in any significant manner when they aren't broken is
sure to hurt the contest.

73s John AA5JG