Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Yaesu FT450 product review confusion

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com, vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Yaesu FT450 product review confusion
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:07:26 -0700 (PDT)
Chances are it is actually both. If it is designed like most
all of the other narrow-ish roofing filter mixer scheme
radios then some of the AGC is inside the DSP. And the
remainder of the overall AGC range is analog and ahead of the
ADC. Of the designs like that I have studied closely the
first 60-90 dB or so of AGC action is usually done in DSP.
But when the signals get really strong then there is a level
where HW based AGC starts reducing gain to protect the ADC
from over ranging.

The only radios that I'm aware of that have the AGC wholly
contained whithin the DSP is the FlexRadio SDR-1000 and
Flex-5000's. And as far as I know all of the various direct
sampling RX's like the SDR-IQ, SDR-14, HPSDR Mercury, QS1R,
Perseus, plus some others that I can't think of at the moment
are too.

Duane
N9DG