Re: [VHFcontesting] SPLAT!

To: k4gun@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] SPLAT!
From: Marshall Williams <k5qe@sabinenet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:01:53 -0600
Hello to all....I have run a SPLAT! plot for my station, assuming
144.2Mhz and an antenna height of 440ft.....I clearly don't understand
what this plot is telling me.  The circular pattern that I get is only
about 50miles in radius.  This does not make any sense to me at all.  We
regularly work our rovers out to 400miles on 2M, 222, and 432.  Those
contacts are clearly not "rag chew" quality, but they certainly are good
enough for calls, grid, and a Roger.  The program does not ask what your
power is or what your anetnna gain is.  It would seem that these are
pretty important as far as distance is concerned.  Again, I am clearly
lost here.....

More information on what I am seeing would be appreciated.  Thanks to
all.....73's Marshall K5QE