[VHFcontesting] transverter questions

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] transverter questions
From: Gene Gabry <gene_n9tf@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 20:58:55 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

First, please reply direct with your comments.

I am going to be adding a 222mhz transverter to my
station and would like to hear opinions pro/con from
users of the DEMI 222-28 and Elecraft XV222. How do
each of these perform in contest conditions? I think
the noise figure spec on the Elecraft is slightly
better than the DEMI, according to the specs on each
suppliers web site.

Anyone using a Kenwood TS-2000 as the exciter? If so,
how do you have your transverter configured? Do I need
to modify the TS-2000, or will either of these be plug
and play? It looks like I will need the AOS-28
interface if I go with the DEMI unit. If I read the
manual correctly for the Elecraft, I should not need
an interface.

>From a kit construction stand point, comments on how
the two compare, parts count, difficulty to build,
test equipment required?

The TS-2000 manual is not very intuative as far as
transverter operation. I think the keying line is the
same line that would be used for keying a VHF amp, via
the EXT.CONT connector? Comments.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

I am hoping to be active on 222 SSB in the june
contest.

Respond with comments to either < n9tf@comcast.net >
or < gene_n9tf@yahoo.com >

73 Gene N9TF, EN52xg