Re: [VHFcontesting] Jan Contest

To: "'Dick Pechie'" <kb1h@ct.metrocast.net>,<VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Jan Contest
From: "Chet, N8RA" <chetsubaccount@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:41:53 -0500
Dick,

Right on! The VHF contesters are great bunch.

IMHO I think mention of a wide signal should be done, but be tactful, maybe
do it off air, and leave the door open that your own receiver could be at
fault too due to overload or the noise blanker being in use. Back in June,
when I was using an FT897, I thought a LOT of sigs were way too wide. This
past contest I was able to use an Elecraft xvrtr in front of an Orion.
Golly! There were a LOT less folks that I previously had thought were too
wide. Having the panadaptor sweep function available shows some very
interesting things.

After the past 10M contest (that is a vhf band, isn't it?) I had an exchange
with an ARRL director about my observations of his signal. It went well. We
might not want to hear it, but I believe we'd ultimately appreciate hearing
it. Far worse if something of ours was amiss and no one ever mentioned it so
we could check into it.

Chet, N8RA