Re: [VHFcontesting] Regulation Question

To: John D'Ausilio <jdausilio@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Regulation Question
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 02:39:43 -0600 (CST)
I always carry my license with me when operating portable or mobile but I
don't specifically display it.

There must be a few savvy policemen out there.  A couple years ago I was
setting up my dish antenna in the 10 GHz contest at a place called Beverly
Shores, Indiana, on Lake Michigan.  It was early in the morning and not
too many people were about yet.  I did notice a van in a parking space a
few down from where my car was parked.  A police car came up and I thought
"What am I in for now?"  But he only looked at me, went and talked to the
people in the van, and they both left. He never approached me at all.
All I can figure is the people in the van thought I was suspicious and
called the police, he saw me and explained what I was doing to them, and
left.

I know I'm not the only ham who has operated from that spot in microwave
contests.

73, Zack W9SZ