[VHFcontesting] January 08 rover schedule for K4GUN

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com (VHF contesting list)
Subject: [VHFcontesting] January 08 rover schedule for K4GUN
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 18:02:01 +0000
With the contest a little over a week away, I figure its about time to post my
official operating schedule.  I'll be entering under the new Limited Rover
class and I'm hoping an aggressive driving schedule will put me in a
competitive position.  I have the ability to operate while on the move with
omni directional antennas and while parked, I have GPS and will rotate the
antennas by moving the truck.

I should be easy enough to find, but if you have a specific sked you'd like to
set up, send me an e-mail.

The only thing that could change this is really bad weather.  If that happens,
I'll post an updated route, but it will follow roughly the same path but may
leave out upper elevations and less time will be spent parked.

Bands:

100 watts into a halo while moving and a par Stressed Moxon while parked on 6
meters
100 watts into stacked square loops while moving and an Elk Log Periodic when
parked on 2 meters
35 watts into stacked loops while moving and Elk Log Periodic when parked on 432
1.5 watts into an HT for 222 FM (yes, its an afterthought and a long shot)

I'll be doing some search and pounce and some calling CQ.  My calling
frequencies will be as close to the following as QRM will allow.

50.185
144.245
432.145
223.500

Route:

I'm starting at Hogback Mountain on Skyline Drive.  I'll then drive to VA Beach
by way of Charlottesville.  Saturday night will be spent on the beach in FM26.
Sunday will be in 3 grids on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel until late
afternoon.  I'll then drive North through the Delmarva and catch a rest stop on
Rte 301 in FM29 and then circle back home to Woodbridge.  I'll open 10 grids on
this route.

Schedule (all times Eastern):

Saturday 2:00 PM at Hogback Mountain FM08us.  I'll stay as long as I'm getting
new QSOs.
Saturday 5:00 PM drive to Charlottesville and then to Virginia Beach.  The
total drive time could be anywhere from 3.5 to 5 hours, depending on weather
and bathroom stops.  If I'm ahead of schedule, I'll stop in FM07 near Louisa,
otherwise, I'll just catch a couple of Qs on the move to activate it.
Saturday 10:00 PM will be at the Rudee Inlett at Virginia Beach FM26at.  This
parking lot has a good view up the coast but I'll also be pointing back toward
NOVA and hoping for a little luck.  The parking lot closes at midnight.
Sunday 10:00 AM will be at the first island on the CBBT FM16ww
Sunday 12:00 PM will be at the third island on the CBBT FM17xa
Sunday 2:00 PM will be at the scenic overlook on the CBBT FM27ac.  Because this
is a rare one, I'll stay as long as I'm getting Qs but will leave at 5:00
regardless.
Sunday 5:00 to 7:30 PM will be mobile operating from FM27 up into the Delmarva
where I will catch portions of FM28 FM18 FM19 and will travel one mile into
FM29.
7:30 or 8:00 Sunday will be at a rest area on Route 301 at FM29ab  This could
be a brief stop or an extended one depending on activity.
Late evening Sunday, I'll drive toward NOVA to finish up near my QTH in
Woodbridge FM18iq where I'll be on the air until the contest ends at 11:00 PM

Recap:

Saturday
2:00-5:00 FM08us
5:00-10:00 en route through FM08, FM07, FM17, FM16 and FM26
10:00-midnight FM26at

Sunday
10:00-11:50 FM16ww
12:00-1:50 FM17xa
2:00-5:00 FM27ac
5:00-8:00 en route through FM27, FM28, FM18, FM19 FM29
8:00-8:30 (est) FM29ab
8:30-10:00 en route through FM19, FM18
10:00-11:00 FM18iq

73 de K4GUN