[VHFcontesting] Mirage amp update

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com (VHF contesting list)
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Mirage amp update
From: k4gun@comcast.net
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 20:22:01 +0000
I had a chance to play with my amp today and it is as I expected.  It helps
some on TX and some on RX.  Its nothing amazing, but is a distinct improvement.
 It seems to key nicely off the RF but as many of you predicted, the drop outs
are annoying if I don't keep talking.

I made one contact at about 100 miles with a VERY clean copy and a good signal
report on the other end.

I think I've figured out how I'm going to incorporate this into my roving plan.
 I am not going to use it while moving.  In fact, I'm not even going to risk
that and will have an antenna switch in line before it goes into the amp.  The
other line will go to my stacked square loops and I'll use that barefoot only
and that will be the one to operate while actually mobile.  When parked, I'll
switch to the amp which will feed an Elk LP.  When parked, I'll have the time
and concentration to ensure that I reduce the RF to something less than 10% (5
watts).

I know this isn't the ideal set-up, but it can't hurt.  Thanks for the
incredible number of well thought out replies that have been sent.  I'm in awe
of how helpful this list is.  I hope to work a lot of you in the contest.

73
Steve
K4GUN