[VHFcontesting] Fw: APRS while roving

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Fw: APRS while roving
From: "Christopher Burke" <chris@n9yh.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:18:36 -0600

> Ev, I understand what they were trying to do with the new rules for APRS
> as far as spotting for rovers on APRS to be used by  multi-op stations, but
> you make a distinction between APRS on 144.39 and HamIM on 147.585, that I
> don't see in the rules. As somebody who is new to this, I see HamIM as an
> APRS system.  You said it yourself, it's "APRS on simplex".  If only rovers
> are allowed APRS but  are only allowed to tx callsign and position don't the
> rules preclude the use of HamIM for everybody?
>
>  -Mac, KB8YHV

No, HamIM has always been legal.  The difference is normal APRS uses the
Internet - I can go to findu.com during the contest to get your location to
try to work you.  Until now you couldn't use APRS this way because normally
you can't use non-Amateur Radio means (Internet) to solicit contacts during
the contest.  HamIM doesn't use the Internet - anyone within simplex range
on 147.585 gets a position report they can plot on a map.  That's really not
any different than me telling you my grid square is EN52vj on 432 SSB so you
can point your 1296 beam better.

73!
Chris N9YH

--