Re: [VHFcontesting] 6M Sprint UTC Time Question

To: "'R Johnson'" <k1vu@tmlp.com>, <vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 6M Sprint UTC Time Question
From: "Jim Worsham" <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 23:48:17 -0400
I will take this one since I am one of the SVHFS folks who runs the Fall
Sprints.  Since all of the other Sprints (2 Meters and up) are on bands with
relatively restricted range they all use local time.  For example, the 2
Meter Sprint starts in the pacific time zone three hours after it starts in
the eastern time zone.  I know, there are stations near the boarders between
time zones but that results in a time difference of only one hour and you
have to draw the line somewhere.  The 6 meter band on the other hand is
considered more of a DX band.  For that reason we want it to start at the
same time everywhere in the world so it uses UTC time (aka Zulu Time).  I am
sorry your friend didn't have good luck with the 6 Meter Fall Sprint.
Frankly, it isn't at a very good time of the year for 6 meter propagation
and we have never had a lot of activity in the sprint.  We have even talked
about just dropping it or maybe moving it to xmas/new years and calling it a
winter sprint.  Any suggestions on how to improve any of the fall sprints
but especially the 6 meter sprint are appreciated.

73
Jim, W4KXY