Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting

To: VHF Contesting eMail Remailer <VHFcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting
From: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:01:44 -0700 (PDT)
----- Original Message ----
> Putting out a call by using an entirely RF path is not self spotting.

So a multi-op can spot me, and put me on a non-RF system, but I can't
put myself there.  That's my contention.  What's the difference in
the end-result?

Here's the problem: the term "spotting" is not defined in ARRL rules.

As a result, you get these sorts of discussions.  To add confusion, the term
"spotting" is used in the same sentence as "packet" as being prohibited.  Yet,
HamIM is based on "packet" and is approved by the ARRL contest desk.

I'm just pointing out the underlying problems that cause confusion.  Nothing
more.

Ev, W2EV