[VHFcontesting] June 1987 VHF Contest

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] June 1987 VHF Contest
From: Arthur Jackson <ka5dwi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
Boy does that bring back great memories.
  It was the one contest that probably kept me in VHF.

  From here in N. Texas....
  I was new to 6-Meters (one week).  I worked VUCC in 18 hours.  It was open
here on all night too.

  It was the only time in my 25 years on 2-Meters that I worked Es in two
opposite directions AT THE SAME TIME!!!   (California and Georgia).  Until
2003, it was my shortest 2-Meter E QSO (NM/AZ border) I had ever made ,although
the eastern ones were also close.

  Of course here locally, K5UGM EM12 worked W5HUQ EM90 on 220 MHz Es and
several double hop 2-Meter Es occurred.

  The DX conditions were every bit as good late Sunday night as it was when it
first opened up early Saturday afternoon.  Had it not been for everyone's
exhaustion when it was over, I think 2-Meters opened up again to MN and ND
after the contest ended.

  I have never experienced "Es" conditions like that since.  Still waiting for
one more chance.

  73's
  Art Jackson KA5DWI
  S.W.O.T. Chairman ( www.swotrc.net )