[VHFcontesting] rover antennas

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] rover antennas
From: "frank bechdoldt" <k3uhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:56:18 -0700
Ok here's one I'm qualified to talk about for sure.  See my call on QRZ...

Anyway, the cushcraft 3 bander 6/2/432 have the antennas on a seperate
plane. IE 2 and 432 on one plane and 6 on the other.  You would have to
pivot the antenna when you changed bands to get the right band on the
horizontal plane. I did this with a 3/7 element arrow antenna the first time
I roved. I pivoted the antenna when I changed bands.  This is not a long
term rover solution.

KB6KQ lives 20 miles from here. I inquired about antennas and his wife
replied that Norm was having surgery.  I never heard back, I think the phone
number is on the web page. He has the best omni dirrectionals arround.  I am
using M2 stacked loops on 432/222/ and 2. I carry extra bolts.  I have had
the m2 loops for 5 years. Norm's looks better and doesnt detune in the rain.
However the rain falls off when you drive anyway.

My M2 loops have went in excess of 300 miles when properly perched.

That being said I normally only use the loops while driving. I mount an
individual beam per band and a moxen for 6 meters or a m2 loop on 6.  Its
good to do for a back up.  I have had a tennadyne antenna fail.  So I'd
avoid them as well.

I have had good luck with Gulf Alpha antennas. The neat thing about those
antennas is that they are easy to repair at home depot if you should dammage
an element.  On 2 meters I use an old 11 element cushcraft because I have 5
of them laying around for parts.  I have even used them stacked on top of
the suburban.

Im for long yagi roving I have had up to a 17' 2 meter beam, however I once
stacked 2 33 element 432 beams side by side and it was a flame thrower.  I
am sure I  lose 2 or three db in random distortion of all those beams
stacked 1/4 wave above each other. However the wider beam path aint so bad
when roviing.  So if it was a 10 db beam at 12 feet, stacked it might be a 7
db beam, but thats better than buying a 7 db beam and derating it to 5db.

Also a colapsable mast, military stule can sometimes be found on ebay.  This
takes the antennas from 8 feet to 20 feet in a few seconds. You can also
seperate the beams by 3 or so feet when up giving you a faily clean path.
Theres a picture of this in the fall soapbox for lastyears sept. contest.

The only long periodic I can endorse is an elk antenna. Last year I did over
300 miles on a 18 inch 432 log of thiers when I could not hear squat on a
tennadyne.  I tempted to buy two and stack them next time out.

And yes alot of wieght can be added to a trailer reciever mount and a bike
rack.  However a solid platform can be built on a yakima rack.  If I had a
Mini Cooper I'd put the rack on it at all 10 or 11 beams and stacked loops
before I did the trailer adapter.  Well unless I had the force 12 class 4
reciever moounted 40' tower.  Which would set the balance off the
minicooper.

Bottom line, dont mount something you are not prepaired to repair and have
the parts in a tool box.