Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Bad contest conditions on 6m

To: Jack/NA7RF <vhfplus@bmg50.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] Bad contest conditions on 6m
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:02:58 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007, Jack/NA7RF wrote:

> Funny you should mention Bob...he saved the bacon for me in DN20. I had been
> driving through that grid calling CQ over and over on all 4 bands (6, 2, 222,
> 432) and finally got a very brief opening to EN41 and EN32 with the K2DRH Q
> just 3 minutes from the DN20/21 boundary! I worked him a bit later in DN21,
> along with KC0CF...they were the *only* non-regional Q's from an "opening".
> Everything else was ground-wave or very brief scatter.

Very odd, I never heard him here at all.  And I'm pretty close to him. I
was very surprised - I did keep looking for him during the contest.

I operated from home in the SOLP class this time.  Had some other
commitments so only got in 7 hours of operating.  My antennas were only up
25 feet and my home QTH is a poor location for that height. So I'm glad I
got on at all.

> I know 6 is referred to as the "magic band" but maybe the "schizophrenic
> band" would be more to the point...it didn't know which personality it wanted
> to display with the ugly one taking control this weekend :>)

We had a "schizophrenic" opening from here (EN50) to the east coast on 6m
on Sunday morning.  QSB was so rapid and deep that on CW stations I'd
hear one character pop up a good S9 and the next character completely
gone. I did manage to work some stations though.

> I did work the usual compliment of VE's with huge signals on 6...VE6JW, VA6AN
> and VE5UF among them...but this contest was far more fun on 222 than any
> other band. In fact, wherever I went the signals on 222 were consistently
> better than 2-meters, but I've known that for many years. I worked K7XC from
> DN21 on 222 where the 2-meter signals were non-existent, and that was running
> comparable power and antennas on both bands, but just a bit earlier I worked
> him from DN22 on both bands...go figure. I feel badly that I did not work any
> of the California stations from those grids...I understand that DN22 would've
> been #50 for W6OMF. Maybe the next time, Larry!

I think one of two highlights for me in the contest was sorking VY2SS on
6m.  The other was working K8GP on 2m.

My antenna for 144 MHz isn't as good as the 222 and 432 antennas, so
generally a station was much louder on 222 and 432 here than it was on 144
MHz. I recall everyone I worked on 222 was loud.

I wish I'd had more time for the contest this weekend.  I ended up with 35
QSO's in 25 grids as the total for 50, 144, 222 and 432 - for 1075 points.

73, Zack W9SZ