[VHFcontesting] ts-2000 vs ft857d

To: VHFcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] ts-2000 vs ft857d
From: Bruce Tobias <wb9woz@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:23:33 -0600
I have been using a Yaesu FT-857d for about 3 years. As a contesting
rig, its not too bad. Since this is my first ssb rig for VHF/UHF, I've
been pretty happy.
Now the time has come to put the 857 mobile and get another rig for the
shack. I was looking at the TS-2000 with the 1.2 GHz module.

I know some of you are using the 2000, what are the pros and cons I need
to be aware of ? All bands in one box is a REAL plus for me.

On the topic of APRS, I have it running here 24/7. For me its a tool to
look for  band openings on 2 meters. I have it set up to display only
stations heard direct, not digipeated. This worked out well on 11/13/06.
I saw a couple of stations start popping up in TN and GA on 2 meters.
Swung the beam towards the SE and worked several grids. Even worked EM64
on 70cm with 20 watts from EN62.

Thanks
Bruce
wb9woz