Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS Comment - The Flaw re: Rovers

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] APRS Comment - The Flaw re: Rovers
From: Zack Widup <w9sz@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:34:43 -0600 (CST)
For Rovers running simplex, it's going to be tough.  I suppose it depends
on what the Rover is using for the APRS.  Assuming he is using about 100
watts and a higher-gain beam for his weak-signal work and he's only S1 at
my end, something less than 100 watts to an omni antenna on FM is going
to be even harder to copy.  If he's so close that he's S9 on SSB or CW, I
wouldn't even need an APRS fix on him.

There may be ranges in between these extremes where it might work out.
But most of the Rovers don't get very close to me too often.  They hang
around the metropolitan population centers which are a good distance away.

I'm just going to have to try an operation closer to Chicago some day!

73, Zack W9SZ