Re: [VHFcontesting] Bringing newbies to VHF-UHF

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Bringing newbies to VHF-UHF
From: Sean Kutzko <kx9x@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:43:58 -0800 (PST)
For me, I was interested in showing the local Techs
("shack-on-a-belt") around Champaign, IL that there
was more to 2m than just repeaters. I started
sponsoring a 1-hour 2m FM simplex contest for hams in
the area, using cities as multipliers. Rovers were
accepted. This introduced a bunch of locals not only
to the potentials of VHF, but contesting as well. The
results were very strong; many of the new participants
from the university ham club had never operated
anything other than 2m or 440 through a repeater. The
concept of simplex was new to them.

This local contest, coupled with Field Day, did
wonders to open the eyes of the newer folks to VHF
weak-signal work.

Open up your shack to anybody who's interested. Answer
questions. Be an Elmer. Offer to teach classes through
your local club. Enthusiasm is contagious.

73,

Sean

Sean Kutzko, Amateur Radio KX9X
Gillespie, IL       Grid EM59cd