Re: [VHFcontesting] 1296

To: Ev Tupis <w2ev@yahoo.com>, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] 1296
From: "Eric Smith" <kb7dqh@donobi.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:56:09 -0800
> From: Jamie Dupree NS3T ns3t@arrl.net
>

> A question for you experts out there.  In the Spring, I
> plan to put
> some small antennas up on the roof, including a 1296 loop
> beam.
> The coax run is straight to my rig with 125 feet of low
> loss coax (Bury Flex.)
>
> Forgive my rookie question - will I need a pre-amp on the
> mast
> for that band?

Having read all that has been replied publicly, Yes,
definitely, if you are stuck on using the "bury-flex"
cable.
If at all possible, score some surplus hardline, or
consider putting the PA as well as the preamp up on the
mast... DC or 60 hz is a whole lot easier and cheaper to
create and dissipate in a long cable run than RF:-)
Eric
KB7DQH