Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] unique situation

To: "'Howard W3CQH'" <hgorden@adelphia.net>, <vhf@w6yx.stanford.edu>,<vhfcontesting@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] [VHF] unique situation
From: "Jim Worsham" <wa4kxy@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 00:20:20 -0400
Your first and only option is to hire an attorney.  I can assure you that
your HOA has one.  That was who wrote the letter.  Personally, I think they
are trying to overstep their authority by applying covenants as they apply
to your home to your vehicle but I AM NOT an attorney and I can't really
provide an informed opinion on that and I doubt anyone else on this
reflector can either.  I will point out what I believe is the key sentence
in all of this, "While the installation of antennas on a vehicle is not
specifically addressed.  it would seem obvious from the context that the
intent was to prohibit the proliferation of exterior antenna(s) in CWV."  By
their own admission they say that their rules do not apply to your vehicle
but they try to say that they intended for it to apply.  In most if not all
states and localities that would be a very weak legal argument.  They have
to follow their rules as they wrote them not how they "intended" them to be.
Also, if they change the rule to include vehicles they can not make it
retroactive.  There is this thing called the Bill of Rights that prevents
that.  Once again, I am not an attorney so this is not legal advice but it
should give you something to think about and discuss with your attorney.
Someone made the comment that you should send the HOA a copy of the FCC
rules as it pertains to your right to have antennas.  I am not aware of any
such rule or right in part 97 and would be interested in seeing it if there
is.  My final thought, contact the ARRL.  I believe they maintain a list of
hams who are attorneys and I am sure they can provide you some guidance on
how to proceed.  By the way, your situation is not unique.  It is happening
every day.

73
Jim, W4KXY