Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF Recap for a Dozen participants

To: Alex <kr1st@amsat.org>,Radiosporting Fan <radiosporting@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] CQ WW VHF Recap for a Dozen participants
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:20:59 -0400 (EDT)
As one of the most unmotivated hams on the planet I
can honestly say EV's RFSport Logger was a great
motivator this past weekend.

The display in the software showed that I was far from
first place, but it did show that I was in a race for
fifth or sixth place (among the hams who were
participating).  This kick-started me from lazily
search-and-pouncing to actively calling CQ and running
as long as I could.

My score shot up and it looked like my opponent's did
too.  We both improved our scores and handed out more
points (and multipliers) to others.  It's good for us
and it's good for every extra ham we worked.  Most
importantly, it's good for the CQ WW VHF Contest and
for contesting in general.

I couldn't care less about what's proprietary and
what's not.  Ev's system is here now, it works well
and it has the desired effect as a motivator.

If something like this exists for HF contesting I'd
love to hear about it.

73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS

P.S.  Hey Alex, nice to hear the voice behind the
call!