Re: [VHFcontesting] W9ZRX June VHF Contest (Long)

To: Jim Smith <jimsmith@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] W9ZRX June VHF Contest (Long)
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 17:32:22 -0400
Jim,

A couple of us here in the Detroit area have aluminum towers mounted on
modified boat trailers which use the "falling derrick" method.  We use
three-way guying, and one of the guys is the line which pulls the tower up.

Mine carries a 48' tall tower and can be put up by one person using it's
electric winch.  K8BB's has a 56' tall tower with a manual winch the
requires considerable cranking, but it regularly lifts a "Christmas Tree"
of 3L monobanders for 20/15/10 for FD, MiQP, etc.

The "falling derrick" method works remarkably well, and when you calculate
the stresses involved for a typical 40-50' aluminum tower with a tribander
or such on top, the loads are pretty reasonable and do not require exotic
materials or methods. YMMV...

73,