Re: [VHFcontesting] Mix W Rig Expert

To: k3lfo@arrl.net, vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Mix W Rig Expert
From: Alex <extraham@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:01:42 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
We recently did some tests on 2 meters to see if the RigExpert would be any
better than a regular old soundcard or even the built in sound chipsset you
find in many PCs. We used simple line of sight testing on PSK31 over a 24 mile
path (to exclude any propagation induced problems) with signals right at the
noise level. As can be expected from the specs of the RigExpert, it doesn't
work any better that the good old ISA Soundblaster cards. The RigExpert is a
very basic 16 bit interface.

Please note, (and this is what a lot of "testers" forget) you can have great
hardware with incredible sampling rates and awesome resolution, but if the
first command rolling out of the software is to initialize the card for a basic
44kHz sampling rate at 16 bits resolution, chances are you overpaid for your
hardware.

I know you asked about MSJT and not about PSK31, but the mode doesn't make a
difference in this case.

If you don't need the RigExpert (Expert in what?) for any of the other features
it offers, I'd say, save your money and take your wife out to dinner. That's a
lot more helpful for when you want to purchase your next rig that can dig out
weak signals. :-)

73,
--Alex KR1ST