Re: [VHFcontesting] Best contesting rig

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Best contesting rig
From: Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:35:45 -0600
John Geiger (NE0P) wrote:
> Which radio is considered to be the best VHF/UHF contesting radio that covers
> several bands (at least 2m/70cm/23cm) in one box?  I know that transverters
> with a good IF rig are probably the best way to go, but it you are limited on
> space and interconnections and wanted everything in one box, which rig would
> be the best.  It seems that the choices would be:
>
> Yaesu FT736R (with 6m or 222mhz also available)
> Icom 910H
> Icom 970A/H
> Kenwood TS790
> Kenwood TS2000 (also with 6 meters)
>
> Or if you could get by without 23cm:
> Yaesu FT847
> Yaesu FT726R
> Icom 820H
> Icom 821H
> Kenwood TS780
>
> Opinions on this?
>
> 73s John NE0P

John,

You talking fixed or rover?

I think the choices for most of us would be quite different for each,
for our "dream setup on a budget" since space and power might be at a
premium in most rover's setups.

You start looking at factors like power output level capability built in
to the radios if you're on a budget and doing a rover, to keep space
down.  If you desire 100W without external amplifiers on those "common"
bands, your options just became very limited.

Fixed, you can always add a bigger power supply and an off-board amp.
You might not be able to do that as easily in a rover -- where you might
need to add another battery for handling all the current.

And of course, the REAL thing is antennas... the advice of my first
Elmer always rings true:  "The antenna makes the radio."

Nate WY0X