[VHFcontesting] Using the Elecraft XV-50 with IC-781 / 765

To: vhfcontesting@contesting.com
Subject: [VHFcontesting] Using the Elecraft XV-50 with IC-781 / 765
From: "kb8u vhf" <kb8u_vhf@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:06:15 +0000
I don't have a 781 or 765, but I'm guessing it's similar to my 756proII:

There is no need to switch the voltage on the accessory plug unless you want
to also use the rig on HF.  In other words, if you're dedicating the rig for
use with a transverter then leave it connected to +12V all the time.  If
not, you'll have to switch the voltage off or disconnect the plug.

When activated, the transverter jack on the rig is bi-directional (use it
for transmit and receive) and the other antenna connectors are disabled.

The only other connection you need is PTT out from the rig to the XV50.  I
think the Icom PTT line goes to ground when transmitting.  I don't have my
documentation in front of me so feel free to ask more questions if you need
help figuring that out.  I'm also not able to verify the pin numbers you
stated to enable the transverter.  The XV50 won't handle full break-in QSK
CW so set your rig accordingly.

If you're using a sequencer, there are other modifications you can make (I
added a transmit enable line to my XV144 so I can't blow my mast-mounted
preamp).

73, Russell KB8U

P.S. watch the numbering of the DIN plug pins, I think they don't increment
clockwise or counterclockwise but jump around!