Re: [VHFcontesting] Downsizing my Rover station

To: Dan K9ZF <n9rla@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] Downsizing my Rover station
From: Frank Brickle <brickle@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 11:48:47 -0800
Dan K9ZF wrote:

> I was planning to buy [probably used] an Icom 706Mk2G, or possibly an
> FT100D.

Having had a 706IIG for three years or so, and an 857D for about six
weeks, I come down pretty definitely on the side of the Yaesu. Strong
signal handling is considerably better, DSP and filters a *lot* better,
menu system better since you can put often-used functions on
programmable buttons. Not quite half the power consumption on RX.

The Yaesu also has a settable frequency display for use with
transverters, for what it's worth.

73
Frank
AB2KT